Thursday, June 12, 2008

It's Hard To Imagine


Years ago, I ended my stint as a songwriter. It has been at least eight years since I put pen to paper and put a new song together. I did not think that I would be writing again. However, the urge struck to let something flow. I worried that as Bono said that once yout put words down on paper then the magic is gone. However, I wanted to let this one fly.


IT'S HARD TO IMAGINE

It seems the lights are out
Losing sight of the dreams of love
The mind is moving like smoke
I don't know what any of this is all about

You have launched me into zero
A fork and a spoon mixed in ice
I never wanted to be your hero
Ever since my heart got mixed in your blender

CHORUS:
I know it's hard to imagine
That I would sit with you as your world snaps
Into a million missing jigsaw pieces
I know it's hard to imagine

You hope that the orange is thin
You hope the street is wet with your sin
You hope I'll turn around and hand you a receipt
You hope I'll forgive your deceit

I hope that you know the water line is cut
I hope you know you smashed my lens
I hope I will learn to crawl when my line cut
I hope you know that my TV keeps running pictures of you

(CHORUS)

You'll never know that the cake is slippery
When you put it through the wire
Your words act like small figures of sand and fire
I am not your creep at the windowsill

Paper money and your heart strings
Thrown away to the winds of my voice
Taken for granted that I'll ever hear what your voice brings
Did you think I wouldn't notice

(CHORUS)

Your pills in my sink
Your lips on my drink
Your last rites being called over my objection
Your last words slipping on the screen

I'll learn what love really is
Once you get your hands across it
Mixing words and thoughts with booze
We all get lost in your loneliness

No comments: