Sunday, June 15, 2008

Father's Day Kudos And What Happens In...Stays In...


I was going to write a blog entry about the Atlanta Braves and my diminished expectations and the demise of the Lakers in the NBA Finals, but I was inspired to go another direction. As is it is Father's Day and I had my once every four months (or longer) phone call...much too long I would say to go without contact, I reflected on something that my father said at the end of our conversation. He said: "Take care of your family." He said it somewhat out of the blue, but I know for him there was a more deeper meaning behind the statement. I thought about it and it hit me. It hit me that this one thing was a major ideal or concept about life that he had passed down to me. I had not fully realized it until that statement. I remembered that my father sacrificed time, money, sweat, blood, and maybe some tears to make sure that our family was taken care of. The eighteen hour days. The moving to a better location with a better job. The folding and unfolding of businesses. Those were the things that he did. Would he have rather spent that time golfing? or with us? or with me? Probably. However, he was driven by that one credo: "Take care of your family." With that credo he did everything in his power to make sure that we had everything that we needed and in most respects what we wanted. That is a value that somehow he was able to hard wire into my personality. My father was and still is a man who is driven to succeed in business not necessarily for his own benefit, but for the benefit of his family. This has been driven home in my life as well. I have been driven throughout my career in an attempt to ensure the security of my family. I have worked two jobs and worked long hours to advance in my career and to make more money. The reason has been the same as my father's, which is to make sure my family is taken care of. This is a value that I have, that I will always have. It is hardwired now. It wasn't when I was a rebellious adolescent when the concepts of working for something did not seem to have value. In graduate school, the hardwiring kicked in. It kicked in probably too late for my father's benefit when I was around. However, it is there now. I will do everything that I need to do to make sure that my current family is taken care of. I will dismantle any and all threats to that security. That is a value that I most proud of. It is the part of my father that I have the most admiration, respect, and love for. He gave me the drive, work ethic, and values that stand with me today. It comes down to taking care of the people that need you the most. I have not been as successful as I would have liked. I have beaten myself up over it, at times. Nonetheless, that drive to succeed is there, hardwired into my heart and mind, given to me through my father. This is a value that I love the most about my father. Dad, I don't tell you enough that I love you and I want to thank you for everything that you have given to me and the values that you have taught. Happy Father's Day to you. Always.

I also want to take the time and thank an individual who has become my "adopted father." He was a colleague at my current place of employment until he was forced to retire during an evil coup that still drives the agency to this day. I come to visit him once a week during an on-call stint. He has opened up his home and heart to take me in. He has provided me with incredible guidance and wisdom over the last three plus years that have helped to keep me relatively sane. He has provided encouragement in these last few years that I have needed in order to stay afloat. Most importantly, he has kept me focused and grounded. For this, I am very thankful. Thank you and a Happy Father's Day as well.

I want to also say to those people who have been a part of or witness to the series of events in my life in the last year that fall into the category of "What happens in (insert city here), stays in (insert city here)" a big thank you. You have shown me mirrors that have reflected back to me where I am in my life. Those reflections have not always been the prettiest, but they have shown in vivid detail where I am in the process, where I need to go, and how to get there. You have provided me with the experiences that have added a new texture to my story that has added colour, joy, hope, longing, and even desperation. To you all, thank you.

No comments: