Thursday, November 13, 2008

My Letter To Bill Simmons


Bill,
I noticed in your acceptance speech for the nomination as Oprah Obama's "Sports Czar" that one of your platforms was to reduce the number of MLB teams by two through relegation. Last spring, I wrote in my blog, http://fox4nxblog.blogspot.com/2008/02/what-ifmajor-league-baseball-was-like.html, about this very subject, but I took it several steps further. I wrote that MLB should be run just like the English Premier League. My idea was not just relegate two teams, but to send down five. My idea is to relegate the worst five teams by number of wins in MLB to Triple A. The best five teams in Triple A would be promoted to MLB.

The top 5 teams based on wins would join a "Champions" league and compete against the top teams from the top pro leagues from other countries. This would eventually lead to a true World Series between the two best pro teams in the world. The MLB champion would be the team with the most wins at the end of the year.

So by taking these ideas into account the following teams would be relegated:
Washington 59 wins
Seattle 61 wins
San Diego 63 wins
Pittsburgh 67 wins
Baltimore 68 wins

The following teams would advance to Champions League tournament:
LA Angels 100 wins
Chicago Cubs 97 wins
Tampa Bay 97 wins
Boston 95 wins
Philadelphia 92 wins
(The Cubs would be in second based on a better run differential). The champion of MLB would be the Angels.

As I see it, Bill, you put this idea on paper on November 13th, 2008. I put my even more advanced idea back last spring. If you don't believe me look at my blog. Unless you can show that you wrote about this before last spring then I will have to demand that you acknowledge that I developed this idea first.

No comments: