Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Change Is Here


It is Wednesday night, I am on-call and I am watching a documentary on Peruvian prisons and heard the following line: "Cell Block A loses the (soccer) match without violence, only the mascot dressed as Santa Claus gets hurt." Then the camera shows a pack of Peruvian prison soccer hooligans stomping Santa to death on the concrete soccer field. Then we get to the final credits with some guy with a ton of prison tats and his own prison made nipple ring. Life is good.

Today, I turned in my resignation at my current place of employment. As I indicated several days ago I am in need of making a change. I have decided that I need a change in scenery in order to get back in touch with what I am passionate about in this field. I have determined that I have little interest being diagnostics in direct behavioral health care. Hence, the idea of doing just seeing patients all the day everyday holds little interest. I am mainly interested in the idea of program development, supervision, and maintenance. I believe that in this field I can make more of a difference supervising and directing clinical behavioral health programs rather than providing treatment directly. So I have been offered a better deal (mo' money) with higher responsibility (mo' problems) with an agency in Lynchburg, Virginia. I will be in charge of their intensive programs which includes crisis/emergency services, crisis stabilization, and assertive community treatment services. Every now and then I will deal with purely diagnostics which is also my strong suit as I would rather diagnose and prescribe a level care than providing the level of care directly in the long term. Mainly, in the long term with the same patient I am as useless as Lindsey Lohan's PR consultant. So, I have decided to be the behavioral health version of House, MD without the blood (maybe) and the noticeable limp (hopefully). Everything else will sadly be the same. I, too, believe everyone lies. And I mean everyone.

I have given my current employer four weeks until I leave. I have gotten mixed reactions from people at the office. Some are surprised and some are quite upset. There are many who thought I was telling them that their job was over. Hence, they are relieved once they realized that it's not them that is leaving--it's me. That is the state of affairs out our office in today's economy. Bring on the vodka!!!

Meanwhile, the Atlanta Hawks are 6-0 going into tonight's game in Boston. What? I thought they were going to play just to get Coach Woodson fired. I guess we'll have to wait until January for that to happen.

The Falcons are now 6-3 as they approach a winnable game against Denver in the Georgia Dome. When the schedule came out I had looked at the schedule and saw this game and instantly retorted "Denver 44, Atlanta 9." Now, Denver seems to be cartwheeling through glass and Atlanta is on the way for challenging for a play-off spot. How fortunes can change in the NFL.

I also need to start writing hockey entries, but no one will read them. So why bother? Everyone lies about reading this blig already anyways.

No comments: