Sunday, March 16, 2008

Some Random Foolishness On Selection Sunday


I personally feel that the Georgia Bulldogs story at the SEC tournament marred by severe weather is the biggest story of the weekend.  The Bulldogs have a total of nine scholarship players able to suit up for the game.  They have won three tournament games in a row and the last two in a ten hour span.  Their top scorer of their semi-final game fouled out with seven minutes left.  Some may say that they got lucky by having to not play Tennessee.  It does not matter.  Georgia against anyone in the tournament means they are a serious underdog.  This afternoon at 3:30 ET they will play Arkansas for the only shot they have to make it to the NCAA Championship.  People all over Georgia will be cleaning up after two days of severe storms and tornadoes today as the skies have cleared.  Maybe the Bulldogs today will give them something positive to think about.  Here are some links to other sites with more information about the Bulldogs:

Virginia Commonwealth University is not a bubble team.  Period.  They are out.  Period.  Don't even think about it.  It is sad.  They had the best record in the CAA by three games.  They won 24 games, but they are out.  They deserve to be out.  They deserve to be out because no one who loses to a fair inferior team in their conference tournament while on the bubble should go.  VCU played William and Mary last weekend in the CAA semi-final in Richmond--and lost.  They were favored by 599 points in that game and they choked that game away by poor shooting and sloppy play.  That does not cut it in March.  So congratulations to the Rams--NIT bound!!!

Anyways, who cares about the bubble teams except for the fans of the schools that are still talking Big Dance?  These are not teams that usually make it to the Sweet 16.  These are teams that mostly get drilled in the first two rounds.  So what difference does it make?  What is more important are the top seedings.  At this point, UNC (if they beat Clemson), Memphis, and UCLA have earned their way to #1 seeds.  I am skeptical about Memphis, but I was the one that said that Hawaii deserved a chance to be in the BCS so I will be quiet on Memphis until they get rolled in a Sweet 16 game.  Tennessee had their chance at a #1 seed, but they lost yesterday to Arkansas.  Georgetown had a chance but lost last night to Pittsburgh.  Duke had a chance but lost to Clemson. So it comes down to Kansas and Texas in the Big 12 (one of my least favorite conferences, I don't care about anyone in this conference).  Ugh!!!   By the way, for those who are wondering I am still on the fence as to whether or not Virginia Tech should be in.  They almost knocked off UNC yesterday and they won at least one game in the tournament.  They had a first round bye into that tournament.  They lost their last regular season game to a better Clemson squad.  I can say this:  they deserve to get in more than VCU.

My daughter went to her first movie gathering with a group of boys and girls.  I am telling you now that it's all over.  Life as I know it is now finished.  My life now will surround around scaring her and her boyfriends to death by acting like a complete lunatic when they come around.  So I'll meet them at the door with a Hannibal Lector mask.  Or maybe my mask from my C-PAP machine.  Or maybe have a dead deer laying on the welcome mat at the front of the door.  Or maybe have them listen to my iPod on an endless loop.  Show them photos of her on the potty when she was two (thanks Mom for that idea!!).  Show them my concealed weapons permit.  Show them the pictures of the last boyfriend after being met by some of my "made" guys.  Long and short I will be over protective.  Why?  Because it is my job.  Because I know how boys are.  That reason alone should allow me full range to lock my daughter up until she is 25 (if only if they will let me...hmm...).  

No comments: