Friday, March 28, 2008

A Letter To My One Reader

Dear My Lone Blog Reader,
In response to your feedback regarding who to root for, only Bill Simmons has rules for fan-dom and I have never truly followed them. Your point is well taken. Go with your heart and have your favorite. Based on that theory, then my favorites would have to be all in Atlanta. Scary thought. Atlanta as a sports city is pure hell. As a real city it is pure hell. I realize that there are teams that I like and I will pull for, but I have the favorite teams that I will always pull for over the teams that I like. My favorite NFL team has been the Falcons since 1980. I like the Raiders (this started when they were in LA), 49ers, Panthers, and Ravens. I will pull for the Falcons above them all (regardless of whether or not the QB is in federal prison). My favorite MLB team is the Atlanta Braves since 1981. I like the Giants, Dodgers, Nationals, and Orioles. Anytime the Braves play any of those teams I have favored Atlanta. In the NBA, it's the Hawks since 1980. I like the Lakers, Wizards, and Bobcats, but not ever above the Hawks. College-wise I have my alma mater in VCU which will come first always because they are the alma mater. Then it comes down to Georgia, Virginia (sorry, Scott), UCLA, and Georgetown. In the NHL, it has been the Thrashers since they started in the ATL. I have pulled for them over anyone else that I have like which includes the Kings, Capitals, and Hurricanes. Obviously, Atlanta sports has been my blessing and my curse. The relationship has been as insane as a borderline personality and a anti-social psychopath hooking up for the long-term or Britney and K-Fed. There have been fights, crises, riots, punching, and cheating all throughout but I keep coming back. Over and over. As one can tell, I have had a fascination with both the cities of Los Angeles and San Francisco that still hold to this day for numerous reasons. The teams in NC and specifically Charlotte are on the list due to the fact that I lived in Charlotte for three years. The DC area teams are on the list simply because I consider them the "home teams" as I have lived in the DC area and Virginia for close to 24 years in total. However, my first love resides in Atlanta and will stay there no matter how sick and twisted the relationship has become. No matter how many times Atlanta has set my car on fire. I still come back. So it seems that I have done all along what you recommend which is to like who you like, but to have a favorite. The only that I have appeared to repeatedly violate is have teams that I like in the same division or who are rivals with each other. The worst of these offenses is liking both the Giants and Dodgers. However, neither of these teams are my favorites, but that does not matter because liking both teams is likely to result in me ending up like Denzel in Training Day.

No comments: