Monday, March 24, 2008

Should I Root For The Home Team?


I have one brief question as we hurl ourselves towards total economic collapse. I'll be brief because we have to get back to making fall out shelters when the financial Armageddon occurs. I have been a sports degenerate since I was eight years old living in Atlanta. Thus, I became a fan of all the teams in Atlanta and ever since Atlanta continues ti reign as one of the worst sports cities in America. Despite this I am not going to abandon them. Ever. Not even Michael Vick scared me away from the Falcons. The Hawks have one of the worst ownership nightmares in the NBA. The hockey team is in free-fall towards the center of hell.

Since 1981, I have lived in the Washington DC area or in Virginia (for the exception of my exile in Charlotte). I have followed all of the Baltimore-Washington area teams for years and quietly rooted for them. Meanwhile I have pulled for teams in cities that I love but have never lived in. I have pulled for Atlanta even though I have not lived there since 1981.

So my question is: Shouldn't I root for the home team(s)? I have lived in Virginia for 19 years after living in suburban Maryland for 4 1/2 years prior to that move. Isn't it ridiculous to root for teams in cities I have never lived in? I have actually stopped caring for those teams thinking "What is the point?" Atlanta is the site of first sports love affair so it will never go out of my heart. But, doesn't it make sense and more appropriate to pull for the home teams based in Washington and living in Virginia? What do you all think of this?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry it took me so long to leave feedback regarding this question. I was busy in my office mistaking popcorn kernels for crack rocks.

Anyways, I have moved around a decent amount in my life. The two states I have lived in the longest have been Colorado (8 years) and Virginia (going on 14 years, with a three-plus year stint in North Carolina in between). In Colorado, from ages 4-12, I wasn't a huge sports fan yet, but I did like to see the Broncos win. I started becoming a football fan more and more when I visited my grandparents, and grandpa would be watching the Broncos games. So I rooted for the Broncos, but I wouldn't have called myself a Broncos maniac! A few months after the Broncos got raped and pillaged by the Redskins in SB 22, I wound up moving to the DC area. As there were no Broncos games on in DC, I started watching Redskins games. So I guess I became a Skins fan at heart because living in DC is when my interest in football really began to take hold. But to this day, I still like to see the Broncos be successful. My point is, you can root for more than one team at a time, but always have a favorite. For example, I am a VT graduate, so I am all about all things HOkie football and basketball. However, in DC I became a huge Georgetown fan, and still am to this day. So I root for both schools, but root for VT if they happen to be playing Georgetown.

Keith, I really do not believe there are any hard and fast rules that govern what teams you should root for, nor should there be, except "Don't root for two teams who are in the same division." Being a Yankees fan and a Red Sox fan at the same time is scientifically impossible! One cannot like Michigan AND Ohio State!

So Keith, you can root for whomever. YOu can root for the Falcons AND the Skins. But you can't root for the Braves AND the Nationals (same division rule). Sorry

Now where did I put my stem?